Calculating a journey by distance tells you how far away a point of interest is in miles or kilometers. However, points of interest search tools often assume that you are travelling as the crow flies. In reality, a journey needs to take into account road networks, transport schedules and congestion at certain times of day. This is where a travel time calculator tool can come in handy. A travel time calculator takes all these elements into account. So, no matter the distance, you will get a result that shows you how long it will actually take to reach your desired location. Let’s take a look at some examples.
Omio calculates train, bus and flight options between cities in Europe.
- Enter your start location and your destination
- Enter your travel date(s)
- Select your preferred mode of transport
- Click ‘Search’
- See your results in list and map view
Calculate an A to B route using the TravelTime platform routing tool. You can calculate the time it takes using different transport modes.
- Enter your preferred mode of transport
- Enter date and time of departure
- Enter starting point and destination
- Add a waypoint (optional)
- Click the departure time
- View the results on list and map view
Unlike other A to B routing tools you can map all the places you can get within a time limit. For example: How far can I travel within 30 minutes by car from my house at 8 am? Try this type of search here.
Skyscanner is a travel time calculator that allows you to search for flight options from all the different operators.
- Click ‘one way’, ‘return’ or ‘multi-city’ option
- Enter your starting and destination airports
- Enter your preferred departure and return dates
- Select the number of passengers
- Click ‘Search flights’
- View results in a list view
- Add further filters, such as fastest route, direct route, preferred airline
Citymapper is a transport app that allows users to search for driving, cycling, walking and public transport routes in urban areas.
- Enter your starting address or use current location
- Enter your destination
- Click the green arrow
- View your results in a listview separated by mode of transport
- See Citymapper’s suggested route based on fastest travel time
Open Source Routing Machine
The Open Source Routing Machine (OSRM) is an open-source router designed for use with data from the OpenStreetMap project to calculate drive times.
- Enter your starting location or address
- Enter your destination
- Use the + sign to add an optional waypoint
- Click ‘enter’
- View the driving route on the map
Try the TravelTime platform travel time calculator today
Using TravelTime it's possible to make bespoke travel time polygons showing where's reachable within a travel time area. To discuss your bespoke project, get in touch.